Thursday, May 3, 2018

General Cooking Tips

Okay, now that you all know what I'm about (see previous post if you haven't already), it's time for me to share with you all some of the things I do that make people think I'm some sort of kitchen goddess. Here's a few tips that will up your cooking game by 12.4%. Trust me, I took Biostats, I know how numbers work.

1. When you're making anything chocolate (which, if you have any sense, you do quite frequently), use a bit of vanilla. It may seem counter-intuitive, but most modern chocolate has vanilla in its ingredient list, and some of what we think of as the "chocolate" flavor comes from vanilla. A splash of vanilla extract can take things like brownies, frostings, and cakes from "good" to
"I will fight you for the last piece"

2. Cinnamon is amazing. To quote Jerry Seinfeld, "Anytime anyone says, 'Oh This is so good. What's in it?' The answer invariably comes back, Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Again and again" I use a ton of cinnamon in my cooking, but the flavor of cinnamon can be elevated. If you take that lovely spice and give it just a pinch, a little shake of the shaker of cloves, ginger and nutmeg, you nave yourself a cinnamon that is somehow "more cinnamon" than the spice by itself. Now don't go overboard, or your dish will just end up tasting like a chai latte (which are delicious, but not necessarily what you were going for). This little trick is great for cinnamon rolls, hot cinnamon apples, cookies, and any place you want a cinnamon smack in the face. Use it in a sweet potato casserole and even overly-picky aunt Gertrude will admit that someone else in this family can cook.

3. If a savory dish just isn't working, even though the salt and savory flavors are there, it may need a little acid. A splash of lemon juice or vinegar can round out the flavor of a stir fry or sauce to make it just right, and to make you feel like a master chef.

4. Learn flavor combinations that go together and use them in different ways. There's a reason chocolate is always bringing along his buddies peanut butter, mint, coffee, or caramel, but he doesn't usually chill with tomato or green pepper (someone somewhere has probably made that work and I salute them. I am not that brave). If you know rosemary and thyme go together with chicken, spice up your grilled chicken salad with some of that. If you love ginger and soy sauce on your stir fry, try it in an Asian-style soup. Put sriracha on your tuna sandwich, I don't know. Go nuts! The only rule is it better taste good.

5. Don't limit yourself by preconceived notions of what food is "supposed" to be. I checked, there is no law that states that crepes have to be sweet. Savory crepes can be amazing, too. Tofu is not a substitute for meat, but it can be its own food, and even *gasp* eaten in dishes with meat to provide a different texture and flavor. Think chocolate is for sweets? I present mole, a cocoa-based sauce I have occasionally found smothering enchiladas in Mexican restaurants. Don't shy away from foods you have labeled as "weird" and never tried. You may be missing out on something really good.

That seems like enough tips to start with. I am far from a food expert, but this is what I've found out through my experiences. Do you feel like your cooking game has been upped?

No comments:

Post a Comment