Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Deadpool 2 Chimichangas

Some movies will always hold a special place in our hearts, unearthing happy memories and bringing people together. Deadpool is one of those for me.

No, really. I promise. Stay with me on this.

So, the first Deadpool came out on Valentine's Day weekend. I and my dear roommate and best friend, Rachael, were both quite single and quite tired and stressed and in need of a little R&R. It was junior year, I was preparing for my thesis research over the summer, we were both starting to think about life after graduation, it was time for a break. So, we got dressed up and took ourselves on a date to a nice dinner and a movie, that movie being Deadpool. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and since then, it has been a tradition for Rachael and I to go out on a friend date every Valentine's Day.

So, with the second Deadpool movie coming out, I knew I had to do something special. Anyone who's seen the Deadpool movies, played the game, read the comics, or followed any of his many iterations knows that there is one food that is most appropriate for any pre-Deadpool 2 feast: chimichangas. Rachael came over and we stuffed our faces with homemade chimichangas smothered in salsa with some black beans and bell peppers on the side. And it. Was. Awesome. Side note: the movie was awesome, too. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one.

I did start from a recipe for this one, but honestly, I changed it so much that the only similarities it bears are the fact that it's a recipe for chicken chimichangas. This diverges enough from my source that it qualifies as an original recipe. And lemme tell ya, it's good. Look at these beauties.

Yes, it's green. I used spinach tortillas because I like them.

Okay, so here's my recipe:

Ingredients:

2 cooked, shredded chicken breasts, seasoned to taste (I used paprika and cayenne and onion salt)
1 4 oz can green chilies, drained
1 can diced seasoned tomatoes, drained (your preference of spice, I used medium)
1 cup (~2 ears) cooked sweet corn
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese plus more for topping
8 tortillas (8-inch)
Salsa for topping

Directions:
-Preheat oven to ⁰400F
-Mix chicken, chilies, tomatoes, corn, paprika, cumin, cayenne, vinegar, and salt in a bowl
-Place ~1/2 cup filling onto a tortilla and sprinkle with cheese. Fold. Look up pictures if you can't figure out how to get the fold, it's hard to describe in words. Don't be afraid to make a mess while figuring it out, this is how we learn, people. My kitchen is not a clean place, but it is a tasty place.
-Bake for ~20 minutes until the tops are starting to brown, then flip and cook for a few minutes until the other side starts to brown.
-Serve topped with salsa and additional cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment