Monday, October 15, 2018

When I'm 80

When I'm 80, I'm going to have stories to tell.

This week, I saw an interesting hashtag going around Instagram. It's called #whenim80. It's related to the fact that this last week was Mental Health Awareness Week. The hashtag has several purposes that I'd like to talk about. I have friends and family with mental illness, and while I can't get into their head and know exactly what they're going through, I encourage and help in any way I can. So, I'm going to discuss this hashtag and the encouragement it has given me and anyone who reads it. Whether you have a diagnosed mental illness or not, everyone needs to take care of their mental health. You still wash your hands and eat your veggies when your body's not sick, right? same with your mind.

1. There is a future, and you can be a part of it. If you are going through something and you feel like this is just your life now and you're stuck in a flatline, or you've considered ending your life, this is for you. You CAN think about what life will be like when you're 80 and looking back. The here and now may feel like all there is, especially when each day feels almost insurmountable/You've made it through every bad day, every anxiety attack, every depression phase, and every relapse so far, this one isn't going to take you. You're going to be there #whenim80

2. Life does not have to be perfect. Those beautifully posed pictures you put on Instagram will likely not be your favorite when you're 80. If you are going through a rough time but feel the need to hide it, or to put up a perfect front, it's okay. Talk to a friend, family member, mentor, pastor, or mental health professional. The good times you pretend to have will be tainted by the anxiety of constantly trying to hide panic attacks or bingeing and purging. That need for perfection causes a sense of isolation and "I'll live life when..." Let me tell you, that goalpost will keep moving and you will never achieve the perfection that your illness wants. It's not something you can just snap your fingers and change, it takes a lot of hard work because you are literally rewiring your brain, and that's okay. There will be slip ups along the way. Recovery is not perfect, and that is okay. You can live the life you want to live without the pressure of social media perfection. Find those horribly unflattering pictures of you when you really are living your life, and treasure those. Maybe it's that picture your friend snapped right after making an awful pun and you're cringing. Maybe it's that beach day photo where you're sunburned, covered in sand, and your hair is a mess but you just learned how to water ski and had a blast. Those moments of perfect imperfection are what you're going to treasure #whenim80

3. Life is happening right now. This one does relate to my previous one, but it's a slightly different angle. If you've been afraid to get help, or putting off a difficult part of recovery or management, now is the time to challenge that. No one is ever 100% ready, there will always be a reason not to seek help. How much will your illness have to take before enough is enough? How many days will depression isolate you from the people who care for you? How many events will you miss or not be able to enjoy because you're paralyzed by obsessive thoughts and actions? How much more of your life will you give to an illness that only gives you temporary comfort and demands more and more? It's scary, it's difficult, but life is happening right now. It's time to live it. Looking back, you won't think "I'm so glad I checked to make sure my house was locked exactly 17 times." "I'm so glad I starved for a week leading up to that vacation so I could be at my lowest weight ever" "I'm so glad I spent my mother's birthday lying in bed too numb from to even cry or answer the frantic phone calls." No one ever wishes they'd waited till they were sicker or "more ready" to take the next step. Life is something that you can live, and you'll be glad you did #whenim80

Yeah, you may not live to 80, but the idea is still the same. Take the risk, do something difficult, and make those memories that you can look back on.


I'm usually a pretty photogenic person, but this picture is...less so. Look at me. My hair is truly awful, I'm all sweaty and gross, and I'm out in the middle of the woods with a giant pair of clippers. But I remember exactly what we were doing. I and my summer research buddies we're building a hero fence to trap salamanders. We spent all morning building that thing by ourselves because we don't need no man! We we're so proud of it. I didn't care that I looked terrible, I was right there, in that moment, and darn it, all I wanted was to go jump in the lake! That is life, the life that mental illness wants to strip away. Don't you dare let it! #whenim80, this picture will still make me smile.

And you know what, when I'm 80, I will still love pancakes.I will always have the memories surrounding them, and they are just as good as the pictures at reminding me of the good times. So yeah, another pancake recipe. And look how pretty they are! Berries, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I had a killer chocolate craving, and on this blog, we enjoy the things we crave. There is a time and a place for moderation, but there is also one for indulgence. Also, life may not be perfect, but this stack of pancakes is pretty darn close.. It's so beautiful, and I enjoyed every moment of destroying it. Pancakes will still bring up good memories that I will look back on #whenim80


Here's my recipe. I didn't really make too many alterations to it because, honestly, this one was pretty darn good to start with:

Cinnamon Applesauce Oatmal Pancakes

Sprinkles of Kim:
-A few dashes of pumpkin pie spice and extra cinnamon because it is fall and I can
-I used a whole egg
-I used maple syrup as my sweetener
-I didn't make the maple peanut butter sauce, delicious as it sounds, because of the aforementioned chocolate craving and a desire to use the fresh berries I had

So, take time to live you life now, and encourage those around you who may be struggling. Even something as small as a green ribbon prominently placed on your bag, car, or lapel can show people that someone else wants to see them get better. One of the biggest obstacles to seeking help is the shame and stigma surrounding mental illness. The charity Stop the Stigma seeks to end this through not only helping provide affordable counseling to those with mental illness, but education to friends and family in how they can help and support those they care about. That is a cause I will advocate to my dying day, and this is one of my favorite charities, they do such good work. Here's a link to donate if you so desire.
Stop the Stigma

No comments:

Post a Comment