Monday, October 29, 2018

Brimstone Bread

Have I mentioned I love Halloween?

Well, buckle in folks, because I'm talking about it again and bringing you another spooky recipe!

I build costumes as a hobby, how can I not love this time of year? And when I'm not in costume, my fashion sense does have a Gothic edge, and I actually have used pieces that I get at post-Halloween sales just in my daily life (when else can you find striped stockings for $3?). Haloween gives me an excuse to bust out some of the costumes I'm really proud of and may not get to wear very often.

And this year I had an idea. An awful idea. I had a wonderful, awful idea. Wait, wrong holiday. I'll be doing Christmas recipes soon enough, let's focus.

Living in the city, a lot of local venues such as restaurants, bars, and other event spaces have costume contests with some pretty sweet prizes. I went to all this work to build a costume, might as well show it off. I ended up going to a food hall, which is like a food court, but with local and artisan type restaurants instead of big chains. They were having some musicians play that night, and of course a contest, which I entered. Very few people showed up in costume, so I took top prize with no trouble at all. Easiest $300 I ever made in my life, and I got to relax, have some good food, and listen to live music. I do cosplay for the fun of it and definitely am not in it for money, but it was nice to get a little something to offset the costs of my expensive hobby.

Now, on to my cheap hobby. Seriously, when compared to cosplay, the cost of a few high-quality ingredients here and there is nothing. This being Halloween, you would think I would make a bunch of sweet treats because we all know I love my sweets, and what's Halloween without candy? But actually, I decided to find some savory recipes. If you want to do a proper Halloween party or themed dinner, you gotta have all flavor profiles, not just sweet.


Behold my latest creation, Brimstone Bread.

And this recipe isn't just exclusive to Halloween, it would be great for a fantasy or fairy tale themed party, or to accompany a fitting movie. The original recipe came from a blog on recipe for a "Phantom of the Opera" theme. The colors could easily be changed up to make blue and white "glacier balls" or red and green "cracked ornaments." No matter what the occasion, I feel like a dragon eating these little lava bombs. They taste just like a normal bread roll, so top them with whatever you like and serve them to your friends and little monsters. Or be like a true dragon and hoard them for yourself.

This is actually a pretty simple recipe if you've ever made dinner rolls before. If you have a yeast roll recipe that you like, feel free to use it. Just dye it red and you're good to go. The important part is the rice coating. If I may get scientific on everyone for a second, here's how it works. The wheat flour in the yeast rolls has gluten, so it stretches as it bakes (this is why gluten-free stuff can be crumbly and not as fluffy), whereas the rice outer layer does not, so as the inner layer expands, the outer layer can't keep up, so it cracks, revealing the red inside. The black layer does make a bit of a mess when you cut into it, but I think it's worth it for a little spooky fun.

Original recipe:

Brimstone Bread

Sprinkles of Kim:
-I could not for the life of me find plain rice flour. I must have just been looking at the wrong grocery stores. The only thing I could find was fancy organic brown rice flour. It was expensive, but it worked.
-Definitely use gel food coloring. It took a lot to get the dough this red, I can't imagine what it would take with liquid food coloring
-I had a fair amount of the coating leftover, so you may be able to reduce the recipe some and still be okay
-For once in my life, I actually used a timer because I can't use visual cues on a black bread, so pay close attention to the time on this one. But then again, if it does burn a little, no one will be able to see!

I hope you all have a happy Halloween and I hope you're excited for holiday recipes, because I sure am!

No comments:

Post a Comment