Monday, August 27, 2018

Truffle Therapy

Now that AnimeFest is over, I can move on to other things...like preparing for Ikkicon! Conventions are addictive, I'm always looking forward to my next one. While that may be my first hobby, I do not neglect my second love: cooking!

I must confess that while conventions are some of the most fun weekends of my year, they are not exactly the most relaxing hobby. I have to make sure I have my badge, hotel accomodations, and transportation to and from con squared away in addition to planning all the things I want to do at con and packing all of the pieces of my cosplays while not forgetting the things I need to exist as a human, like shampoo and contact solution. So, after con, I needed to recover. Recovery involves me watching any new anime I bought, checking out some recommendations, and making repairs to my coplays (why do I keep liking characters with long hair? long wigs are a pain) But, I also like to recover with a new recipe. Okay, maybe a few new recipes. If you follow me on Facebook, you saw the chocolate banana pancakes that I made (and might end up in a future post), which were just what the doctor ordered. That gorgeous plate was all for me. But, of course, I needed to make something for sharing, because that is what I do. Truffles have become a staple in my recipe roster because they are so versatile. They're a nice size for sharing, and they're not very difficult. The amount of hands-on technique is something I find relaxing. Rolling out the little balls, then dipping them in warm chocolate or topping them are things I take pleasure in. It's a process that can't be rushed, so I enjoy taking that time. I decided to make some truffles for sharing.

These truffles. They are wonderful. They are sweet, the flavors work well together, and the soft buttercream with the crunch of the nuts is an experience from the second you crack the shell. Probably my favorite part of making these truffles was the way it made my kitchen smell. Maple extract is strong stuff for sure, and my house smelled like a diner at 10 am on a Saturday by the time I was finished. I'm saving the buttercream recipe by itself as well, because I have a feeling it would be amazing spread between the layers of a pumpkin cake or on a slice of nut bread.

They may not be much to look at, but truffles are like people, it's the inside that makes or breaks it.

If you want a breakfast-scented kitchen and some very happy friends, here's my recipe:

Maple Walnut Truffles

Sprinkles of Kim:
-These do very easily run the risk of becoming too sweet, so you can use dark chocolate for dipping if that is a concern
-I kept mine in the fridge while dipping and only took out five at a time because I live in the 24/7 oven known as Texas
-I added a few extra drops of maple extract to make sure the flavor came through
-Ignore the exact powdered sugar measurement and mix in increments of powdered sugar until the buttercream is stiff enough to hold its shape

Enjoy the recipe, and remember to take the time and do whatever you consider therapy!

No comments:

Post a Comment