Monday, November 12, 2018

Sweet or Savory?

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who divide people into two types, and those who don't. Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

There are also sweet people and savory people. Now, I don't know if this blog has made it extremely obvious yet, but I am a sweets person. I very rarely go a day without some form of a sweet fix, be it from fruit and yogurt, a square of chocolate, a scoop of ice cream, or one of my many baked goods that end up on this blog. If you follow my Instagram, you know I love a bowl of dessert-themed oatmeal most mornings (pumpkin pie oats are a personal favorite). Even my beauty products are often sweet scented. My favorite perfume is Sweet on Paris and my deodorant is Wild Sugar. I'm pretty sure I have just absorbed the sweet into my pores and carry it with me everywhere.

But not everyone shares my sweet tooth. There are people who would take a plain shortbread cookie over a snickerdoodle, or a bag of chips over ice cream any day. Those people are WRONG, but I can respect their stance. After all, it means more for me. Though it's not my favorite, I can appreciate a steak and potatoes or a nice spicy chili. Every now and then, I just want a nice big burger and fries...sweet potato fries, that is. I love tasty food in  all its forms. I started a food blog, for goodness' sake, I better love food. and that's not to say I don't ever crave savory or salty foods, it's just not as frequent as my cravings for sweets.

So, when the sign-up for the office Thanksgiving potluck went up, I was faced with a decision: Should I make something sweet, or something savory? Sweets are my specialty, but when planning a potluck, too many desserts can lead to an unbalanced table that isn't as fun to munch through. I needed something that played to my strengths and the equipment available to me. I neither have nor want a large crock pot (I have no space for it in my tiny kitchen), so it must be something that can be room temperature until served. That narrowed the choices significantly. I eventually settled on something that I think everyone will agree is a Kim specialty.

Scones.

Yes, if my mother is the scone queen, I guess that makes me the scone princess. It's an important job, and one that I take on with joy. I love my scones, I love making scones, and I love sharing them with other people. Scones were a perfect idea for this office party because I could make them ahead of time, and I could also make them half-sized to serve more people. A batch of scones is generally eight, so my starting recipes could make sixteen. Considering the number of people I expect to be in attendance, two batched will be necessary. But where's the fun in just making a double batch of one kind when I could make two different ones? And with this, I can satisfy both the sweet and savory lovers. Yeah, I bet some of you have never heard of savory scones. I've never made them before, but they tend to be more like a biscuit and contain things like cheese, bacon, or herbal flavors. I'd seen some recipes for them and been curious to try one out, so this was a perfect opportunity.

Behold the sweet scones. Peanut butter s'mores. I'm a sucker for anything s'mores flavored, so I'd been wanting to try these for a while. How have I not stuffed one of these in my face yet? I have no idea. These are also some of the prettiest scones I've made, if I do say so myself.

And here's my contribution to team savory. Cheddar and herb scones. Think a lighter version of the cheddar bay biscuits from Red Lobster, and that's what my kitchen smelled like after making them. And I haven't eaten a single one. I should get a medal for the self-control that this takes.

As I type this, I haven't eaten any of the scones. I have no idea how these will go over with my co-workers, but if the way they look and smell is any gauge, I'm pretty sure I won't have leftovers. I'm taking one of each before I put them on the table. It's my payment for all this work. Are you a sweet person or a savory person? Whichever camp you fall into, here's my base recipes so you can satisfy whatever craving you have.

Peanut Butter S'mores

Cheddar and Herb

Sprinkles of Kim:

Peanut Butter S'mores
-To make mini scones, I split the dough in half and made two smaller disks and cut those into eight pieces each. If you do this, it might reduce cooking time (I don't use timers, I cook until things look right. I'm weird, I know), so watch them carefully if you're doing the smaller ones.
-I used semi-sweet chocolate chunks, and I definitely recommend this. Between the honey graham crackers, the marshmallows, the peanut butter, and the sugar, these scones have plenty of sweetness, so the chocolate can be less sweet to properly compliment it.
-I added a bunch of extra powdered sugar to the marshmallow glaze until it was thick like buttercream icing and piped it onto the scones to get those little marshmallow stars. I think it looks cute.

Cheddar and Herb
-Also mini scones, so like i said above, two disks cut into eight and reduced cooking time. Though I feel like these cooked quite a while, it might just be my oven.
-The original recipe calls for just fresh chives, but of course I took that as optional and did this, tossing in a few pinches of each:
     -One fresh green onion
     -One clove of garlic,minced
     -Dried onion flakes
     -Chives
     -Rosemary
     -Thyme
     -Parsley
     -Basil
     -Sage
-An extra sprinkle of salt to really punch up the flavors of the herbs
-After the egg wash was brushed on, I sprinkled more chives on top to look pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment